top of page

Delhi: Ghost-buster Gaurav Tiwari found dead under mysterious circumstances  (11 july 2016)

Indian paranormal investigator Gaurav Tiwari, 32, was found dead at his Dwarka home on July 7, under curiously mysterious circumstances. Police are calling it a case of asphyxiation, but are yet to ascertain if it was a suicide.

The founder and CEO of the Indian Paranormal Society was found lying on his bathroom floor with a thin black line across his neck.

According to his family, they heard a loud thud from his bathroom at around 11 am on Thursday. They forced their way through the locked door to find Tiwari lying on the floor. He was rushed to a hospital but could not be resuscitated.

Suicide or not?

Initial investigation shows Tiwari had no financial or other pressing issues that could have driven him to suicide. He was featured on this month's cover of Youth Incorporated magazine and even posted about a day before his death.

Recently married, Tiwari used to stay out ghost-hunting quite late into the night and it led to some marital friction. He was investigating a suspected haunted house in Delhi's Janakpuri on Wednesday and returned home at around 1:30 am at night, triggering a fight with his wife.

He appeared absolutely fine on the day of his death, however, and was "checking mails" a few minutes before he died.

Police searched the house and Tiwari's mobile for clues but couldn't find anything substantial. They are now waiting for the full autopsy report.

His family members - who don't believe in the paranormal -  initially suspected he died from the trauma from falling on the bathroom floor, a possibility that's being inspected. They have maintained that Tiwari had no reasons to kill himself.

Meanwhile, Australian paranormal investigator Allen Tiller who was working with Tiwari on a Syfy TV series 'Haunting: Australia' told his fans on Facebook that Tiwari had a heart attack.

A ghost didn't kill Gaurav Tiwari, but did marital discord lead to his suicide? (12 july 2016)

The mystery surrounding paranormal investigator Gaurav Tiwari's death in the bathroom of his Dwarka flat just deepened. Delhi Police now suspect Tiwari's family is hiding facts surrounding the death on July 7.

Police believe there was some friction between the newly married 32-year-old and his wife, and the family is trying to conceal it. India Today had earlier reported how the couple fought after Tiwari returned from a paranormal investigation late in the night - hours before his death.

bottom of page